
I won't lie, I'm pretty giddy right now and just need to tell somebody. I just made what I believe is my organic sale, no friends or family this time!TL;DR: Shit talked a friend then got super bored and took a joke too far. Now I have a closet full of pencils and a cool (maybe?) website: PencilifyAs the title suggest, this little "business" of mine started out as a joke at the start of the Covid-19 lockdown. One night while playing a game with a friend, I mentioned to him that I was going to send him a pencil that said "Still a Bitch" as a constant reminder that I still think he's a bitch. You know, typical male banter while gaming and stuff. Well, as it turns out that was really hard to do because who the hell wants to make a singular custom pencil? Armed with equipment I use for another hobby leather crafting and nothing but time due to Covid Lockdown, apparently I'm the guy who wants to make a singular (or low quantity) pencils.So I set out to find some really nice pencils, because my friends deserve to be called bitches in the highest regard. I had to buy a ton of them, so I'm really going for the long con here I guess. I used my foil stamping machines to craft the masterpiece and send it to my friend in his very own singular little pencil box which I also made with tools I have on hand. Mission Accomplished! But now I have all these goddamned pencils I need to do something with - Far more pencils then I'll ever have friends, that's for sure. I can't be the only guy who wants just a few custom pencils, right? So I set out to make my project come to life.. on day ~30 of Covid Lockdown. I'm basically watching squirrels at that point anyways. Goddamnit, America - wear your masks!Now, I definitely thought this is was dumb idea- hell, I still sort of do so I didn't want to spend a ton of financial resources on this (other then the metric asston of pencils I already bought). Luckily I am in IT and enjoy web design so I designed my own site to avoid fees from Shopify and the like, got all the pieces in place from some of my other hobbies/projects and BOOM, my website was launched.Occasionally I'd send a friend or family member some pencils, but mostly I ignore it for the last 6 months. But today I got a ding from my email and I made a sale - a small box of custom pencils! Somebody I definitely don't know so I'm confident it's organic and I'm pretty excited about it! I feel like my dumb idea was sort of validated today. I still have no idea how they even found me.. so maybe I should spend a little more time learning SEO, marketing, and the rest of that other nonsense I didn't particularly want to bother with to try and generate more than one sale every 6 months!Anyways, if you've endured this long, thanks for riding the wild ride! If you have any feedback or criticism of my site, I'd love to hear it. see hubwealthy.com/wealthy






0 comments:
Post a Comment